Saturday, September 17, 2011

Thinking Yourself Out Of Good Fishing

The internet is a wonderful resource for a fly fisherman.  Real time weather observations, creel reports, river levels, free online topo and satellite maps, and online marine chart viewers make planning a trip much easier than ever before.

I met up and fished with another kayak angler a couple mornings ago.  After fishing we were talking before loading up the cars and heading home.  We both shared the sentiment that had we not been meeting each other to fish we both would have looked at the weather observations and forecast and rolled back into bed instead of going fishing.

While the weather wasn't ideal we found really good fishing for salmon along the kelp beds.  I landed four on flies and he landed more fishing jigs.  It was windier than I would have liked but I might have learned more from the tough conditions and fish seem to really bite well in crappy weather.

I will still use all the tools available but this morning I'm glad I ignored the mountain of online information and just went fishing.

No comments:

Post a Comment